After being released from prison, the biggest challenge felons have is finding a job.
In looking for work, a felon who has experience in a retail clothing store may want to apply at Rue21.
This blog post will cover whether or not Rue21 runs background checks.
- What Is Included in a Background Check?
- Rue21 Application
- Rue21 Background Check
- Can You Run a Background Check on Yourself?
- Tips for Getting a Job at Rue21
What Is Included in a Rue21 Background Check?
Rue21, like many employers, reviews an applicant’s background because they don’t want someone who doesn’t succeed after starting a job.
This is considered to be a, “bad hire,” which is someone who:
- Doesn’t produce quality work
- Has a negative attitude
- Doesn’t work well with other employees
- Doesn’t deal well with customers
- Doesn’t have the skills they stated on an application
- Has attendance problems
- Is dishonest on the job
The last question is the biggest challenge for felons. Their criminal history can be a problem when applying at Rue21 even if they are now committed to living an honest lifestyle.
An employer may view at least some of the following:
- Credit reports
- Driving records
- Educational records
- Criminal offenses
- Background information helps an employer like Rue21 to determine a candidate’s:
- Past mistakes
- Financial fitness
This allows an employer to identify hiring risks for security and safety issues for the company.
The criminal record review conducted of a background check includes examining criminal history files for any criminal offenses, which will reveal all convictions and non-convictions, including cases not prosecuted or ones dismissed.
Convictions can be reported with no time limit while a non-conviction will show up for seven years.
A crime will not show up on a background check if a felon has his or her record expunged.
Rue21 is a retail store for clothing and accessories primarily for young men and women from 11 to 17.
The company was founded in 1976 and has its headquarters in Warrendale, Pennsylvania.
There are more than 1,100 Rue21 stores in shopping centers and malls across the U.S. with stores in 47 states.
Their stores are located primarily in small towns and rural areas.
The company employs approximately 7,500 individuals.
Employees must be helpful and approachable.
Communication skills are very important in the company.
Someone with an energetic personality will have an advantage at being hired.
Dressing in business casual or clothing similar to that sold at Rue21 will be at an advantage in an interview.
The company is looking for employees who offer great customer service with positive responses and solutions for customers.
They want individuals who have a teamwork attitude and who follow all company policies.
Frequent entry-level positions available include:
- Retail clerk
- Merchandise assistant
- Store facilities specialist
An applicant must be at least 16 years old to work at Rue21.
An application begins by creating an account on the company website.
An applicant can search for jobs and complete an application online.
Questions on the application include:
- Are you at least 16 years of age?
- Are you eligible to work in the U.S.?
- Have you ever been fired from a job?
- Are you able to work overtime?
- What are the days and hours you are available to work?
- What is your desired salary?
- Have you served in the U.S. military?
- Have you ever visited a Rue21 location?
- Have you ever worked for this employer?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony or receive a deferred adjudication for a felony charge?
An interview at Rue21 consists of a one-on-one session which is usually conducted by an assistant manager or a store manager.
An interview may last from 15 to 20 minutes. Some locations hold group interviews for the initial interview.
Typical questions to expect in an interview include:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What do you expect to get out of this job?
The company may also present questions regarding hypothetical situations often found on the job.
These questions will deal with employee and customer interaction along with store policies and merchandising.
The hiring process at Rue21 may last from one day to two weeks.
Rue21 Background Check
Rue21 will conduct a background check on anyone who may receive a job offer, looking for any felony conviction in the past seven years.
It does not appear that the company conducts a drug test in the hiring process.
The company hires felons according to:
- Severity of the crime
- Amount of time elapsed since the conviction
- It is important for any felon applicant at Rue21 to:
- Know his or her criminal history
- Answer all questions
- Be honest
- Focus on the positive
All questions on the application regarding criminal history must be answered truthfully.
If a job is offered, an applicant will be asked consent to a background check.
A routine background check at Rue21 takes approximately one week.
A background check is run for Rue21 to protect:
- The company
- Its employees
- Its customers
A felon would have the best chance at getting a job at Rue21 by having his or her record expunged.
Can You Run a Background Check on Yourself?
Doing a background check on yourself before applying at Rue21 will allow you, as a felon, to know exactly what will be discovered when Rue21 does their review.
A felon with any questions can contact an attorney.
It is essential to take action and not risk a chance on the results.
A felon can run a number of different kinds of personal background checks:
- From the court in which he or she was charged
- A credit report will help determine how financially responsible an individual is
- Driving records for any job involving driving, such as a truck driver
- An educational report through the National Student Clearing House
For someone wanting to do a background check on themselves, there are places that can help.
Tips for Getting a Job at Rue21
A few tips for getting hired at Rue21 include:
- Be flexible in working different hours
- Have reliable references
- Be ready to provide a job history with a current resume
- Be honest about all personal information and history
- Arrive early for an interview
- Dress appropriately
- Be polite and respectful
- Use a firm handshake
- Speak up clearly and show enthusiasm
If possible, applying in person allows an individual to talk directly to the manager at Rue21.
Don’t hide the fact that you have a felony conviction if it comes up.
Instead, explain the facts about that conviction without emotion.
It is never a good idea to lie about your past on an application.
This could result in not being considered for a job if Rue21 finds out about it.
Highlight skills and abilities that qualify you for the job; focus on them during the interview.
Take responsibility for past actions and explain how you are putting your life in order.
Doing your own background check allows you to know what an employer will see on your record.
Remember that you are not defined by your crime.
Be willing to seeing yourself in a different light, and be ready to establish an honest life.
The best opportunity for success in a new life begins with having support from family and friends.
After all, felons do make good employees.
So what do you think about this blog post about whether Rue21 runs background checks?
Have you or someone you know had Rue21 run a background check?
What was that like and was he or she successful in being hired?
Please tell us in the comments below.